As some of you will already know, Cllr. Frow has handed in her resignation to the Whitwell Parish Council and it was accepted on the 10th October 2012 at the Parish Council Meeting. This leaves a vacancy on the Parish Council and 3 possible options:
- Things continue as they are now, with 7 of 8 council seats filled (4 Labour, 3 Residents Association).
- The Parish Council co-opts a member on to the council.
- An election is called for by residents of Whitwell Parish, this has two outcomes:
- Only one person decides to stand for election, in which case they are duly elected.
- More than one person stands and a ballot is required as per normal election time procedure.
Option 2 would have an effect on the Parish Councils policy of pursuing Quality Status for the council, as it is not possible to obtain Quality Status with co-opted members.
Anyone wishing to see a fully democratically elected council (we expect a majority of the current council would like to co-opt based on what we picked up from the council meeting) would need to obtain ten signatures on a letter addressed to the Returning Officer at Bolsover District Council before the 24th of October 2012 requesting that an election be called to fill the vacancy on Whitwell Parish Council.
If the above description fits you and you're not sure you can get ten signatures from like minded members of the parish then please let us know and if anyone else wishes to do the same then we will put you all in touch with each other.
We'd also like to hear from you on what you consider the desired outcome/option at this moment in time.